Lemon: Don’t you think it’s a bit different considering what happened on 9/11? And the people have said there’s a need for it in Lower Manhattan, so that’s why it’s being built there. What about 10, 20 blocks … Midtown Manhattan, considering the circumstances behind this? That’s not understandable?
Patel: In America, we don’t tell people based on their race or religion or ethnicity that they are free in this place, but not in that place —
Lemon: [interrupting] I understand that, but there’s always context, Mr. Patel … this is an extraordinary circumstance. You understand that this is very heated. Many people lost their loved ones on 9/11 —
Patel: Including Muslim Americans who lost their loved ones… .
Lemon: Consider the context here. That’s what I’m talking about.
Patel: I have to tell you that this seems a little like telling black people 50 years ago: you can sit anywhere on the bus you like - just not in the front.
Lemon: I think that’s apples and oranges - I don’t think that black people were behind a Terrorist plot to kill people and drive planes into a building. That’s a completely different circumstance.
Patel: And American Muslims were not behind the terrorist plot either.
Dang, CNN. I was just talkin’ ‘bout you.
It’s really simple. You’re either for religious freedom or you’re not. End of story. There is no additional context, no qualifiers, and no conditions. That’s what’s promised to us by the Constitution and that’s what the laws of this country say. If you feel the need to add “context” or qualifiers or conditions then you are not in favor of religious freedom.
If you disagree with the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution is not the problem here.
Either shut the shut the fuck up or own the fact that you believe Muslims and Christians should have different rights. Anywhere in the middle is just being a disingenuous, lying, hypocritical asshole.
86 Notes/ Hide
- b1rdseed reblogged this from crippledrobot and added:
- crippledrobot reblogged this from templesmith and added:
- bvp663 reblogged this from mikeambs
- mikeambs reblogged this from spytap
- mike-ambs likes this
- thesoundofonebrainthinking likes this
- tailswallower reblogged this from templesmith
- hopefullysusan reblogged this from oversets
- thedrysalvages likes this
- capesandspace reblogged this from templesmith and added:
- beyoutifulroohsoul reblogged this from oversets
- beyoutifulroohsoul likes this
- misterpeace likes this
- leviathansociety likes this
- edkohler likes this
- mydirtymouth reblogged this from herr-amn and added:
- mydirtymouth likes this
- markusofthebeast reblogged this from templesmith
- herr-amn reblogged this from picturethis-that
- herr-amn likes this
- calculette reblogged this from bowfolk
- spidersintherain reblogged this from seanbonner
- whatevernevermind reblogged this from seanbonner
- greghyatt reblogged this from templesmith
- towitistowoo likes this
- bad-motivator likes this
- dayanitaisfriend likes this
- stuffterryfound reblogged this from oversets
- 3stripedsocks likes this
- yayforeverybody likes this
- snowbear likes this
- jaybushman reblogged this from spytap
- liquidnight likes this
- paperschemes reblogged this from templesmith and added:
- juniorbird reblogged this from seanbonner
- moonsmilk reblogged this from templesmith
- lettersfromnaoko likes this
- barrymanifold likes this
- ptasiemleczko likes this
- c-peterson likes this
- blasko likes this
- templesmith reblogged this from seanbonner
- witnessingthisdunya reblogged this from picturethis-that and added:
- afgham likes this
- templesmith likes this
- picturethis-that reblogged this from oversets
- rosietint reblogged this from curate
- marveloustimes reblogged this from oversets and added: